Tolleshunt D’Arcy Parish Council believes now is the time to put Civility and Respect at the Top of the Agenda and start a culture change for the local council sector.
Tolleshunt D’Arcy Parish Council will:
– Treat all councillors, clerk and all employees, members of the public, representatives of partner
organisations and volunteers with civility and respect in their role.
– Put in place a training programme for councillors and staff.
– Sign up to Code of Conduct for councillors.
– Have in place good governance arrangements in place including, staff contracts, and Dignity at
– Commit to seek professional help at early stages should civility and respect issues arise.
– Commit to calling out bullying and harassment when if and when it happens.
– Continue to learn from best practice in the sector and aspire to being a role model / champion
council e.g., via Local Council Award Scheme.
– Support the continued lobbying for the change in legislation to support the Civility and Respect
Pledge including sanctions for elected members where appropriate.
For more information from the National Association of Local Councils please visit https://www.nalc.gov.uk/our-work/civility-and-respect-project